On Friday 07 September 2001 05:56 pm, Leif Svalgaard wrote:
> Your answer shows that you
> 1) either do not know what OS/400 is
> 2) or use OS/400 as a loose term for "what comes with
> the machine and is named an OS by the vendor"
>
> News/400 Sept 2001, page 15 has this quote:
> "I've been trying for years to get IBM to rename both OS/400
> and SLIC to properly reflect that SLIC is the operating system
> and OS/400 [which does not include SLIC] is primarily middleware",
> says Frank Soltis, IBM iSeries chief scientist. Because OS/400
> isn't truly an operating system, Soltis says, renaming OS/400 with
> something that contains the letters "OS" doesn't clear anything up".
>
> So, at least according to Frank, OS/400 does not include an
> operating system. Now according to me it does, because I
> subscribe to 2) above.

My response is just proof that Frank Soltis is correct. I believed that SLIC
was included with OS/400. Probably, though, IBM only has had the right to
bundle the operating system with the hardware (from the consent decree) and
as such must list all the other software seperately. My mistake. More proof
you shouldn't let marketing define what is an OS.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net