From: Larry "DrFranken" Bolhuis <midrange@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2024 8:52 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jacob Banda <jnbanda@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Virtualize USB Port Through IBM i

I can tell you that image catalogs DO work for this. Create a vSCSI host device on the IBM i partition and allow the guest to the resource name of the virtual Optical device. NOTE it's the RESOURCE name not the name of the virtual optical device. OFTEN these are the same but sometimes you CRTDEVOPT of type *VRT and name the thing OPTVRT02 but this is the fifth one created over time and the resource is OPTVRT05. On the NWSD you need to share OPTVRT05.

But then load the RedHat media into and image catalogue and mount it in OPTVRT02. So long as the guest partition has a matching vSCSI connection to the IBM i partition it will happily see that catalog an allow install from there.

- L