Generally, it's pretty simple...

Is a program called repeatedly, such that 100's or 1000's of activation
groups would be created and deleted per second with *NEW?
If so, then don't use *NEW. Use a named activation group, preferably
something like MYCOMPANY or MYAPP rather than QILE.

Now I believe in one of his messages, Jay mentioned this was going to be a
CGI program?

In that case, there's a few more considerations...
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.5?topic=programming-cgi-programs-activation-groups

- Named activation groups are required if it's a persistent CGI program.
- *NEW is a good choice to ensure cleanup between calls for stateless
programs. Simplifying the code and helping to protect you against mistakes
in the code.

But realize *NEW does have a cost, if you expect that your stateless CGI
program is going to be called 100's or 1000's of times a second, *NEW may
not be the correct choice. You may need some added complexity to use a
named activation group.

Charles

On Fri, Jul 26, 2024 at 8:43 AM Javier Sanchez <