From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Don Brown via MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, April 18, 2024 at 1:42 AM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Don Brown <DBrown@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Basic authentication for REST Web Service on IWS
We have consumed many web services with different type of authentication.

We also have quite a few web services used internally that do not have any
authentication.

We are now creating a REST web service that will be access remotely using
IWS and we want to add authentication.

I have spent a few hours googling and reading a lot but have not stumbled
across any examples of authentication.

I think basic authentication can be handled to some extent by IWS, I can
see a parameter but can't find details of how it works.

There seems to be two common options.

1. Basic authentication like user and password or key and value

2. Tokens. Where basic authentication is used to retrieve a token and then
the token is used on requests until the token expires and a new one is
retrieved.

I am looking for IBMi specific examples or suggestions please.

Thank you for any assistance

Cheers

Don