Yeah, I found something by Bob Cozzi from 2011, and now I looked at emails from a long time ago - like 2003, as part of instructions to install a fix from a vendor I worked for - here's a sample -

quote site nam 1
bin
cd /qsys.lib/qgpl.lib (or library of your choice)
put <pathname>\cdrom.savf
quit

- The above script creates the SAVF QGPL/CDROM
   -- you don't need to precreate the SAVF, because of the .savf extension
      in path name format

Yes - 2003. I think Giovanni Perotti has instructions like this in some of his CGIDEV2 documentation.

What is weird to me is, IBM recently published a knowledge-base article on their support site that relates only the option of pre-creating the SAVF object. And the current FTP manual is just plain murky around this.

Yes, it is always going to work to create the SAVF first.

BTW, I found something I sent to MIDRANGE, I think, for getting multiple SAVFs - mget *.savf - just set bin and nam first, right? At least as far back as 2006. Oy veh! Uffda!

Cheers
Vern