On Sun, Apr 2, 2023 at 6:54 PM Richard Schoen <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

FWIW - EDTF works just fine as do the PASE based editors.

Yes, and I've used EDTF the same way. But at this point it requires
*expertise* to use it for PASE files.
If someone does not already possess that *expertise*, which you and I,
Richard, acquired by riding the tiger from the first days of open source
going big on IBM i up to the present, *why learn that?!*
The future of IBM is completely bound to the success of the open source
initiative and the modernization of the toolchain.
It's merely an artistic flourish to use the antiquated, barely- or
un-maintained 5250 tool chain.
When a user comes to the silverbacks with problems with that, they should
be directed to the New Model or they should go read the docs and figure it
out themselves.

Dos2unix fixes up files and converts to UNIX format.

So does *tr -d '\015' < thisfile > thatfile* if you get down to it. Why
create the problem that requires that?

Wish I had known about this when I started editing IFS files that cared
about LF vs CR/LF.

Or wish that you had mounted the IFS via sshfs and used jEdit to edit IFS
files, since jEdit understands all the file formats and EBCDIC too.

But I'm not going to go around teaching jEdit anymore to the masses, even
though I'm expert in using it for IBM i. Let's just tell them to use
VSCode, the extensions Liam Allan wrote are aimed at them.