Ok, I don't use HMC, so last time I had to update my UAK I had to go
through the whole rigamarole of hooking my PC up to my Power 8 via
Ethernet, setting the IP correctly (which took some testing) and then
uploading my new UAK after getting it from "my entitled ..." online.
So this time I did GO SERVICE option 20 and it said everything worked fine.
Update Access Key has been handled successfully.
But the date of expiration didn't change.
I did open a case with IBM in case something else is wrong, but I don't
understand what's going on and I don't want to have to go through the whole
process again of setting my PC IP, hooking up a long ethernet cable, etc...
etc.. blaah... haha. (yes, it's frustrating).
Bradley V. Stone
Native IBM i e-Mail solutions for Microsoft Office 365, Gmail, or any Cloud
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Operating expenses for this site are earned using the Amazon Associate program and Google Adsense.