At the end of the day here is what happened:

After trying to resolve this over the phone and remotely we went on site.

This is where you learn specifically what actually happened and can add visuals to the pot.

There had been and AC failure but the system was IPLed so that should have cleared any errors and started the system.

However, the ethernet line was down likely because the cable had been changed to a different switch.

IBM I doesn't like that so the line was "failed".  (unlike a PC where the line will recover)

Still, however, we couldn't get the console to come up because we didn't know the DST password and couldn't know system status

Turns out this machine was generic out-of the-box and luckily the DST QSECOFR pw was QSECOFR.

But the password is case sensitive so you have to press the shift key to get upper case (nuance).

I like this part:

Once we got in to console and a signon display the customer put in creds and pressed enter.

Nothing happened.

HaHa.  Trick #8:  Keyboard was set to IBM 5250 so bottom right ctrl key was the "enter" key.

Immediately pressed the 5250 ENTER and, voila, we were in.

Much relief all around.

We reset passwords, added redundancy, etc. and will do a system evaluation to see where they are and what needs to happen.

No SWMA, no hardware maintenance contract, back level OS and PTFs.

Thanks for everyone's help on this one.

Last note is that it appears that if you don't know a DST password you can't get into a down system.

It appears that a SLIP install of the LIC might work.  Anyone actually done that?

Regards,

Jerry