This is a big thank you to David Gibbs for providing this excellent forum, and to Scott Klement for explaining (back on 03/14/2017!) the problem I was having.

The issue was a tab-delimited file that happened to contain a BOM of x'EF BB BF'.  The first field was a numeric field, and CPYFRMIMPF was getting a CPF2845 with reason code 7 "The FROMFILE numeric field ACCTNBR contains blank characters, or other characters that are not valid for a numeric field."

I found that IBM issued PTF SI79338 to correct CPYFRMIMPF's handling of BOMs, and that my customer had this PTF applied.

Wikipedia informed me that x'EF BB EF' is for UTF-8, and that "This is not literally a 'byte order' mark, since a code unit in these encodings is one byte and therefore cannot have bytes in a 'wrong' order.  Nevertheless, the BOM can be used to indicate the encoding of the text that follows it."

Then I googled midrange.com and found Scott's explanation at https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l/201703/msg00449.html. ; I checked the file, and it had CCSID 1252.  After I changed it to CCSID 1208, all was well.

An interesting side note is that when the file was CCSID 1252, looking at its contents with WRKLNK option 2 or 5 I could see the BOM bytes. After changing the CCSID to 1208, options 2 & 5 no longer showed the BOM unless I used F10 to display hex.

--
*Peter Dow* /
Dow Software Services, Inc.