Hello Marc,

Am 01.03.2023 um 19:23 schrieb Marc Rauzier <marc.rauzier@xxxxxxxxx>:

So this is a regular printer device, not a remote output queue.

As far as I understand: Yes.

Yep, only remote writers (linked to a remote output queue) are automatically started when QSPL starts.

Thanks for the clarification! I wasn't aware.

You have to start it manually once QSPL subsystem is running and the device varied on. In the shipped QSTRUP program, it is done with this QSYS/QWCSWTRS program.

I had a closer look at that and CALL PGM(QSYS/QWCSWTRS) will only be run when the QSTRPRTWTR system variable is set to on. It can't be changed from WRKSYSVAL. I guess this can be set only when doing a manual IPL on the according screen.

When doing an automatic IPL, QSTRPRTWTR is set to 1. Still, the writer doesn't get started at IPL time.

I think that the writer *should* get started at IPL time but can't because when the end of QSTRUP is reached, TCP/IP isn't yet ready for socket creation. I have faced this problem with my own applications, too. Thus I've included a socket(), check return value, sleep 1, try again loop in each of those, so they will eventually succeed. Apparently, IBM didn't do this for TCP printer writers. At least not in V4R5. :-)

Well, I don't IPL *that* often, but I regularly do save 21, so I might at least try to solve part of the issue.

Thanks for your valuable hints!

If you want to make it automatic, you can add an autostart job entry, similar to the one which starts remote writers, to QSPL subsystem which will run this QSYS/QWCSWTRS program (preferred solution) or STRPRTWTR DEV(*ALL) (or DEV(WOHNZIMMER) in your case).

QWCSWTRS is doing a lot of things, when looking at it's source. :-)

I'll try that out!

Again, thanks!

:wq! PoC