Le 01/03/2023 à 18:36, Patrik Schindler a écrit :
Hello,
Hello Patrik

first, background information. Some time ago I obtained a printer job converter box from German manufacturer S-P-E. Input is through a TCP port, output is via parallel port to a PCL printer.

I've created a printer description according to the documentation from the manufacturer:

CRTDEVPRT DEVD(WOHNZIMMER) DEVCLS(*LAN) TYPE(*IPDS) MODEL(0) LANATTACH(*IP) AFP(*YES) PORT(5001) ONLINE(*YES) FONT(011 *NONE) FORMFEED(*AUTOCUT) SEPDRAWER(*FILE) PRTERRMSG(*INQ) MSGQ(*CTLD) ACTTMR(170) IMGCFG(*NONE) MAXPNDRQS(6) PRTCVT(*YES) FORMDF(*LIBL/F1C10110) CHRID(*SYSVAL) RMTLOCNAME('ebox.pocnet.net') USRDFNOBJ(*LIBL/PSFLSEBOX *PSFCFG) TEXT('HP LaserJet 4ML IPDS-Box') DEPLOCNAME(*NONE)
So this is a regular printer device, not a remote output queue.
I previously also created the *PSECFG object PSFLSEBOX according to the documentation from the manufacturer.

Printing works as expected, and really snappy, because there's no need for TRANSFORM(*YES) on my model 150. :-) But each time after an IPL, or an SBS restart, I need to manually start the writer job with WRKWTR option 1, which is increasingly annoying.

I've looked up the autostart description for QSPL and found that at SBS start time, STRRMTWTR *ALL is run. When run this command manually, that does not start this particular writer, but also there is no error. "0 writers started, 0 writers not started."
Yep, only remote writers (linked to a remote output queue) are automatically started when QSPL starts.

Prompting chgoutq reveals that AUTOSTRWTR is 1.

Google reveals to me just unrelated articles depending on error messages which I do not get. Or the contrary: How to prevent writers from autostarting, which is not what I need.

Any hints what needs to be done to make the writer start at QSPL SBS startup? Thanks!

You have to start it manually once QSPL subsystem is running and the device varied on. In the shipped QSTRUP program, it is done with this QSYS/QWCSWTRS program. If you want to make it automatic, you can add an autostart job entry, similar to the one which starts remote writers, to QSPL subsystem which will run this QSYS/QWCSWTRS program (preferred solution) or STRPRTWTR DEV(*ALL) (or DEV(WOHNZIMMER) in your case).

Some information in this document (although not directly relevant to your question) https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/solution-printer-writers-not-starting-ipl

Btw., I'm at V4R5, if this is relevant.

:wq! PoC