I don't think the language is the issue: if you're competent in ILE RPG and
not afraid to read the manual to see what's new, C# won't be a steep
learning curve.

IMO, the issue is getting out of the procedural programming mindset and
understanding how to design applications that leverage OOP best practices.
Much of my coding is CRUD applications (albeit some being extraordinarily
complex) and I have yet to find a comparison of OO versus procedural coding
for a CRUD app. FP is the next great thing and perhaps that's the best
choice of all.

You can use C# without an OOP design and I've been told it runs very fast.
You can write a stable, high-function, easy-to-maintain ILE RPG application
using the tools we have today, no OOP necessary. Would you want to write
hunks of an OS in ILE RPG as procedural code? No, for sure.

I have a feeling that the internals of ILE RPG and the OS are not
well-suited for OOP. What's in it for IBM? What's in it for customers,
many of whom complain about the dearth of RPG programmers (note to
employers: when you offer jobs with six pages of required qualifications
for $80K/year, you create your own shortage.)? IBM can get more out of
their investment dollars by supporting additional open-source languages.

Just saying.

On Mon, Feb 20, 2023 at 3:29 PM Javier Sanchez <