Hello Jack,

Am 03.02.2023 um 03:29 schrieb Jack Callahan <jjcllhn@xxxxxxxxx>:

Private key file id_rsa created in the .ssh directory under my home directory on the client server, id_rsa.pub ftp'd to server in bin mode, and added to authorized_keys in my .ssh under my home directory on the target server as specified in the redpaper.

Public keys are just text. Make sure line endings in authorized_keys are proper

Not seeing any changes to the shipped sshd_config

That *could* be an issue.

verbose connection dialog below seems to attempt to use id_rsa private key but fails, exhausts other alternate private keys, and moves on to the next authentication method (password).

I see. Well, there's no indication why it fails, thus the server seems to not accept it. Why?

I don't know where syslog messages of sshd end up. If you can find out, it might contain hints. If that provides no insights, you might need to run sshd in debug mode, in foreground, on a scrolling (vt100) terminal.

I don't know how to start ssh in debug mode on IBM i without a chance you locking out yourself. It might be an option to connect via ssh and password, and start another instance of sshd on another TCP port, thus no conflict with the existing sshd.

:wq! PoC