Hello,

Am 31.01.2023 um 15:47 schrieb smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx:

The company that I am consulting for is pushing to make their IBM i change control system (source control and object installation) work like the other systems that they have. Since I wrote their current change control system, I am stuck with the task. I do not understand GIT and the team pushing for this can't even spell IBM i.

I suggest you to approach "them" in a cooperative manner. Clearly state that Git — like a lot of other non-native software on IBM i — assumes a hierarchical file system which is not currently in use for development purposes, as you stated. And that they need to clearly define the desired goal. "[make it] work like the other systems that they have" is a somewhat blurry definition to me.

Optionally state that merging to the IFS needs the programmers "on board" also. If those refuse to even let go of PDM (do you probably mean SEU?), working in the IFS is not an option. Convincing their own programmers is their duty, right?

Tell them if they want you "on board", you need to comprehend what they want. Ask "them" to teach you some Git basics which might help better than trying to comprehend a reasonably complex piece of software all alone. Ask them in return to listen to you explaining what your system does, so you can discuss in an openly manner what can be done to reach the set goal or if this goal makes no sense once people understand each other's OS peculiarities.

I'm just trying to gather information about how it would work in their world and maybe get a better understanding of what GIT is (Is it anything more than source control) and what it does and doesn't do (does it automatically compile programs once the branches have been merged or is that a manual post merge step).

Git is nothing more than a "text file" revision control system, but was built by developers out of being dissatisfied with existing software, such as cvs, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Version_control

Building and deployment is out of scope of Git.

Don't confuse Git with GitHub.

Maybe you want to look here: https://github.com/richardschoen/iforgit

Richard Schoen has participated in this list, maybe he has additional technical information.

:wq! PoC