From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of
smith5646midrange@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2023 8:48 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Understanding GIT from an IBM i (RPGLE, CLLE, DDS) prospective

The company that I am consulting for is pushing to make their IBM i change
control system (source control and object installation) work like the other
systems that they have. Since I wrote their current change control system,
I am stuck with the task. I do not understand GIT and the team pushing for
this can't even spell IBM i.

Other than just making the IBM i change control work like their other
systems, they want to be able to do the branching and merging. I am really
confused how that works when you move a chunk of code from one part in a
source file to another. For example, I have a chunk of code that will now
be reused so I move it to its own function. Meanwhile someone in another
branch changes something in that chunk of code. How does GIT automagically
merge stuff like that?

The company currently use the DB2 source system (QDDSSRC, QRPGLESRC, etc.).
They do not use the IFS for source files. They also use PDM even though I
have been pushing to get them to roll out RDI to everyone. The problem is
that the developers don't want it because they have always used PDM. All of
that is informational and I do not need anyone to provide arguments as to
why they need to change. I am trying but it is terribly hard to turn a
barge with an oar.

I'm just trying to gather information about how it would work in their world
and maybe get a better understanding of what GIT is (Is it anything more
than source control) and what it does and doesn't do (does it automatically
compile programs once the branches have been merged or is that a manual post
merge step).

Any feedback will be appreciated.

https://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.