Thanks everyone for the information that you provided.

I opened a ticket with IBM to ask them to verify that their website
instructions are still valid and there is not something missing from them.
The response was

Your software maintenance contract does not cover this type of
support. If you need assistance with password scripting, a consulting
contract would need to be pursued.

Then they updated the ticket with a link showing how to use PuTTY to do the
downloads.

I am truly amazed that IBM forces us to use SFTP and a password which is a
methodology that they do not support and then they tell you to use someone
else's product to execute it.

So ,the original plan was to get my IBM i to pull the files from IBM support
central and land them on the IFS for validation and assuming they passed,
load them for install. One screen / command to provide the IBM user ID and
password and when it completes, I am ready to install. I am now changing
directions and I will use FileZilla to pull everything from IBM support
central to my Windows server (where I always keep a backup copy anyhow) and
then write the IBM i process to pull them from the Windows server using FTP
instead of SFTP.

I really wanted to do this all natively without using third party tools but
I guess I will have to wait for IBM to catch up to the rest of the world and
make SFTP a supported technology instead of just providing some work arounds
and asking us to use third party tools.