On 11/8/22 9:35 AM, Patrik Schindler wrote:

LOL! Realistic compared to… what? :-)

The most realistic depiction of a real 5250 terminal (InfoWindow, InfoWindow II, or a 3180), compared to what PCS/WSF and Wall Data's RUMBA were doing.

I had a thought, and rather remarkably, it didn't die of loneliness, that even though most of the hardcopy manuals that old have been discarded, I do still have CD-ROMs going back to V2R2.

And I found a V2R2 PCS manual!

The complete canonical alphabet soup, according to the V2R2 PCS manual:

System Available: "SA" (a rectangular block on an InfoWindow; either that or an icon of a terminal in most modern emulators)

Graphics: "G" (never seen it)

Compressed aspect ratio: "C" (never seen it)

Message Waiting: "MW" (an icon on an InfoWindow or most modern emulators)

Special character: "+" (I think that's the same as it is on an InfoWindow).

Keyboard Shift: "KS" (on an InfoWindow, an iconic up-arrow for shift, and an "A" for caps lock)

Insert Mode: "IM" (on an InfoWindow or a modern emulator, a caret)

Diacritic Mode: "DM"

Input Inhibited (i.e., keyboard lock): "II" (a big "X" on an InfoWindow or a modern emulator)

Auto-Dim: "D" when dimmed (a dimmed InfoWindow shows a generic currency symbol when dimmed)

Keystroke Buffering: "KB" when keystrokes are in the buffer (an InfoWindow shows ">>" if buffering is *enabled*)

Pause State: "PS" (never seen it)

Graphics Mode: "GM" (never seen it)

Local Select Mode: "SM" (never seen it)

--