I second Larry on this - you can do it online while users are working, be not afraid, but expect increased system load.

We have some monitoring files which usually have between 0.8 and 1.8bln records and 20-50% of deleted records,
so reorg is a good idea - but we do have 4 Cores and 256GB RAM for this 20 files, so it is not an issue.

If you're in doubt, use the iACS reorg function and monitor the progress. Do not expect the progress
percentage counter to run linear - if you cancelled an online reorg before, the first some % do go rather
fast while the rest of the reorg can need a significant amount of time. The preparation phase can do
need some hours - expect on large files this process can run over night and impact your
night batch processing or backup.

Also be aware of:
* maintaining the LF also depends on their size and make - your disk I/O will increase
* keep backup in mind while reorganizing - good test for your system performance ;-)
* depending on your QPFRADJ system value the QZDASSINIT job runs with varying priority
drawing some CPU
* If you use transactional based system mirroring (journal based) like Maxava, BUS4i etc,
you maybe want to exclude this file from mirror while being reorganized - there is a good
chance you'll need to keep an eye on your disk.
* avoid reorganizing multiple files the same time. It can be done if your business partner
sold you an appropriate machine.
* last but not least - sometimes, applications do use ALCOBJ *exclusive - you can imagine what might happen...

Best regards,
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Holger Scherer

IBM Champion 2022