I have an update. I can now get a valid connection when starting System
Debugger from a 'Run SQL Scripts' session.

Progress... on the server, must issue both the following commands:
STRDBGSRV
STRTCPSRV *DBG

However, I have some authority issues. In System Debugger, I can now enter
a program name to debug, but when I do, I get the following error in System
Debugger:

"Not authorized to command STRSRVJOB in QSYS."

From the 'Established' entry below, I do an '8=Display Jobs':

Remote Remote Local
Opt Address Port Port Idle Time State
* * as-debug 002:14:14 Listen
10.51.96.212 62818 as-debug 001:59:44 Established

I get 1 job which appears to be assigned my user (JRUTH99):

Connection type . . . . . . : *TCP
Local address . . . . . . . : <IP address>
Local port . . . . . . . . . : 4026
Remote address . . . . . . . : <IP address>
Remote port . . . . . . . . : 62818

Type options, press Enter.
5=Work with job

Current
Opt Name User Number Type User
QTESDBGSVR JRUTH99 106777 *BCH JRUTH99

When I look at the joblog of that job, I can see the "Not authorized to
STRSRVJOB..." messages

So, my assumption is that this job is what is failing with the authorization
check. My user (JRUTH99) has *ALL authority to STRSRVJOB. I, using my
userID, started the debug server by issuing the STRSRVJOB command.

Ideas:
Should STRSRVJOB be initiated by user with QSECOFR authority perhaps?
What other user, group, jobd, etc. might cause the "Not authorized..."
message?
Does the user of the job that started the "Run SQL Scripts" job have any
bearing (<job#>/QUSER/QZDASOINIT)?
What user does the "System Debugger" session use when started from "Run SQL
Scripts"?

Thanks,
Jeremy

On 10/16/22, 7:41 AM, "MIDRANGE-L on behalf of Marc Rauzier" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of marc.rauzier@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Le 15/10/2022 à 19:32, Birgitta Hauser a écrit :
> Yep! You cannot do it on PUB400 ... I recently spoke with Holger about this problem (I have the same problem on my own partition).
> He thinks it is because the IBM i is accessed directly ... without any VPN (and this might be the problem).

Well, that's strange because I just tried to debug an ILE and and OPM CL
program with this System Debugger (initiated from iACS "Run SQL
scripts"), and I was successful to do it on PUB400. It was using 4026
tcp port.

On my laptop, I ran, at the same time, a Wireskark network capture and
all IP packets were initiated from my workstation (behind a NAT router,
so using a non-routed IP) to PUB400's IP using the 4026 port as the
target. So, from a network point of view, if there is no firewall, or if
there is one which allows traffic over this port, I cannot see any issue.