One of our competitors publishes server hardware recommendations for
running their student information systems, which are functionally
comparable to ours. For handling up to 15K students they recommend a 4-core
load balancer server which routes requests to 2 6-core Tomcat
Web-Application servers, which interfaces with 2 8-core Oracle DB servers.
Add a 4-core web-server for serving images such as student photos and other
images, which may be embedded in web pages. We're aware of one site running
25 servers to support 85K students.

One of our clients runs our student information system, which supports 56
school districts and 240K students in one state. They have a 4-core IBM i
server, which handles all HTTP, application, and DB serving. It also runs
HA software and other applications, whereas our competitor requires
dedicated servers for ONLY their applications, and uses traditional Oracle
backup instead of replicating DB transactions in real time.