The software that ran MySQL and used DB2 for storage was distributed by
Zend, not IBM, although IBM put considerable effort into it. It was
really simple to install and could be used so both MySQL tables and DB2
tables exist in the same application.

It was cumbersome only in that when mixed case names were used you needed
quotes around the names when using that table in IBM i. One solved that
problem by using all upper case names in MySQL. Not to most folks liking,
but it worked.

Performance was a mixed bag only because of the software in the middle
between the DB2 engine and the MySQL engine. It actually worked quite
well.

As to it’s fate, I think it was lost in the corporate changes Zend went
through. It did not generate money directly so I’m guessing it was
forgotten about for that reason.

Last point: Nathan is one of the more learned developer/architects on the
platform. Opinionated sure, but one of our best. He knows “native mode”
far better than many.