Hi Dave, based on your question, I am assuming you don't have any kind of
change control software like Aldon or Implementor. May I suggest a build
tool like my iBuild. (Available at www.sourceforge.org/projects/ibuild).
iBuild allows you to put build instructions in the header of your source
for how to build the object and a command that builds the program or file.

Here are some examples.

Build a program object.
//*_>_O DLTPGM PGM(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
//*_>_R CRTPGM PGM(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
//*_>_C MODULE(EI0001_M00 EI0001_M01 EI0001_M02 EI0001_M03 EI0001_M04
//*_>_C EI0001_M05 EI0001_M51)
//*_>_C TEXT('Edcor Interface-Maintain Function tables')
//*_>_C BNDSRVPGM((XVMSGF *DEFER) (XVERRH *DEFER)
//*_>_C (*LIBL/XVUSPC *DEFER)(*LIBL/XVTMPN *DEFER))
//*_>_C ACTGRP(ECDBASE)

Build an RPG module.
//*_>_O DLTMOD MODULE(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
//*_>_R CRTSQLRPGI OBJ(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
//*_>_C SRCFILE(@SRCLIB/@SRCFIL) SRCMBR(@SRCMBR)
//*_>_C OBJTYPE(*MODULE) COMMIT(*NONE) OPTION(*EVENTF)
//*_>_C DBGVIEW(*SOURCE) CLOSQLCSR(*ENDACTGRP) RPGPPOPT(*LVL1)

Build a CL module.
/*_>_O DTLMOD MODULE(@OBJLIB/@*OBJNAM)
*/
/*_>_R CRTCLMOD MODULE(@OBJLIB/@OBJNAM)
*/
/*_>_C SRCFILE(@SRCLIB/@SRCFIL) SRCMBR(@SRCMBR)
*/
/*_>_C DBGVIEW(@MODDBG) OPTIMIZE(@OPTILE) OPTION(*EVENTF)
*/

Anyway I would look at the readme in the project for more information.