We need a weekly procedure to compare source. We don't have source control
yet and so this is an important step.
Thanks

On Thu, Aug 11, 2022 at 5:01 PM Vern Hamberg via MIDRANGE-L <
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can do this on RDi, and with the iSphere plugin, it is even easier to
specify. Now, that is a manual process, but I use it all the time.

There is also a compare_file table function since 7.4 that you can use,
there is a parameter to specify the 2nd RDB, which lets you point to a
different system

Cheers
Vern

-----Original Message-----

From: Maria <mlstoppa@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Midrange <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thursday, 11 August 2022 3:51 PM CDT
Subject: Re: Is there a way to compare files on different systems using
SQL ?

Hi Darryl ,
That's an intriguing question.
Unfortunately, I don't have a solution ready to use, but that's my 5
cents.

Recently I had to compare PF and LF record formats to ensure they match
their sources; objects and source members were on the same system.
To do this I created a program that gets the object definition directly
from the system catalog, then creates in QTEMP the same object from its
corresponding source file member, and finally, compares the first object
definition with that retrieved from the object in QTEMP. I used SQL to
read
the system catalogs and to make comparisons.

But if you need to compare source members themselves it's useless.

To use an SQL procedure you need to connect one system to the other, using
the "CONNECT" statement, but then you need to read every single member and
AFAIK you should use the "ALIAS" concept, creating an alias for every
single member.
I was able to execute some SQL select statements connecting 2 different
systems addressing each table in the form rdbname.schema.table, but I know
little about which conditions this method works under.

If you don't disregard other than SQL, why don't you use FTP to transfer a
source member from one system to the other, and then make the comparison
on
one of the 2 systems, deleting the copied source member (or the whole
file)
at the end of the process?

I am sure others on the mailing list will come up with more interesting
solutions.

Lucia

Il giorno gio 11 ago 2022 alle ore 21:57 a4g atl <a4ginatl2@xxxxxxxxx> ha