Le 19/07/2022 à 17:05, Patrik Schindler a écrit :
Hello Marc,

Patrik,

Not sure to understand what you mean with "recursive".
Configure TCP/IP with OpNav requiring IP connectivity. :-)
Basic TCP/IP configuration and services can be set up with OS commands, so no need for OpNav. But you are right that there are a lot of detailed setup tasks which require a GUI. It was OpNav or other heavy client Navigator flavors, and it is now Navigator for i web interface. For instance, you cannot (easily) configure VPN with a green screen.

On those versions, it was possible to use both TCP/IP and SNA communications for OpNav.
Oh! I wasn't aware of that. So it boils down to "only" get some DOS and Windows 3 running install some old Client Access and… Oof. I'll pass. Too much Windows involved.

Don't forget OS/2 :-)

Yep, I remember my first use of a 5250 emulation, in early 90s on a Windows 3.1 system with PCS/400, and its SNA router to start before Windows in a DOS script. Quite difficult to install and maintain. I remember also "Netware for SAA" and "Microsoft SNA Server" installations in late 90s/early 2000s. Who is responsible to check what when something goes wrong :-)

But in any case, there is still a login with a valid user profile which will run all the actions driven by the OpNav interface, with related authority.
Expanding on this, I'm rather appalled by "click here" explanations from IBM when there are 5250 commands just requiring a terminal (emulator) and nothing else.
The same for me, but as I wrote, unfortunately, there was (there is) not always a command for all those operations.
And I think that the worst is for complementary products such as BRMS, AJS, PowerHA. In the past, and I do not know if it is still the case, when you were updating a BRMS control group using a GUI, it was no longer available for green screen updates. Simple AJS setup such as adding a monitored escape message to a job command is not possible through green screens. Building an HA environment with PowerHA, once properly prepared, can be done with appropriate commands (though I can understand that a graphical monitoring tool is useful). People in the labs who decide that way to work, should take some time to visit the real client world. Where there are tons of networks, gateways, firewalls between your workstation and the server, tens of security rules. Until last year, I was working in an environment with more than 30 customers, each one with his own security rules and devices. So, when the New Navigator for i was announced, listening on its *new* 2002 tcp port (so requiring updates to all those firewalls rules, or gateways ACL, or ssh tunnels configurations...), I said myself that it was another good reason to retire :-)

Whatever the way you use to configure SLIP (OpNav or 5250 commands), the batch job handling the SLIP session will run with QTCP user profile.
True. I was hoping for some explanation about the need to change authorities from the manual. How is a "simple" administrator supposed to know about this when the manual just states "click here, click there, voilá, internet!" ;-)
In that particuler case, I believe it is a bug and QTCP should have this authority by default.

I still have some issue with TCP. See here, if interested:

https://try-as400.pocnet.net/wiki/Configuring_TCP/IP_and_SLIP_with_Cisco-Router_and_V3R2
Let's continue with private mails if you don't mind.

:wq! PoC