This incident raises a larger issue ... namely, how to do "impact analysis" of Db2i applications, especially when embedded SQL is in use.

Does IBM provide any tools, processes or procedures to recommend how applications developers should "query" the application inventory, before making the kinds of changes that Greg described, that allowed him to just make what appeared to be a small change, only to find out later on, that it in fact had a larger scope and impact?

Are there any particular queries over the Db2i catalog that might help?

Example: if customers keep all SQL scripts in source physical files, they could use PDM's FNDSTRPDM to search all application source code, to find everywhere a particular SQL table, function, procedure, UDTF, etc., is used; (a "poor man's" impact analysis tool, ... better than nothing?)

Do any vendor "impact analysis" and/or "change management" tools provide processes or procedures to assist with identifying this particular situation, to help avoid such a scenario?

Mark S. Waterbury