The key there, Jon is EASY. While several of you consider any API to be
easy, many of them are just plain confusing, with variables in different
formats, variable fields, etc. etc..

The other thing is I don't create end user software very often, 90% of the
software I write is to manage the system, oftentimes integrating with the
HMC, SAN, and other things. So while I understand your viewpoint, what I
need is to be able to use the SQL services that are provided EASILY, within
CL. Open source products allow for most of that but it does not integrate
with CL for crap, so then we go out and create Rube Goldberg type
interfaces to try and make it work. So 3/4ths of the problem is solved,
just not the real one.

In the meantime, using Carsten Fleming's examples, I've started using user
spaces for that type of communication. That's still a long way off from
being able to read a cursor in CL. RPG is the other, maybe better, option,
but then it's tough to put an RPG program on an HMC, and calling Open
Source from RPG is equally daunting for most of us.....

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect