Le 20/05/2022 à 13:30, Rob Berendt a écrit :
I'm trying to decide if any of these really help in our situation.
GDIHQ is production.
GDIHQ2 is CBU.
We're using Quick-EDD to replicate between these.
We back up GDIHQ quarterly with a full system save. After doing a role switch to GDIHQ2.
We do nightly backups on GDIHQ2 with BRMS.

I guess that you stop QuickEDD apply processes during the backup to avoid locks? If yes, it means that, in case of a need to failover from GDIHQ to GDIHQ2, you will have to wait for the apply to fully resume before completing the role switch. Depending on your Recovery Time Objective, in case of a failure during the save, it might be or not an issue. If it is one, using a FlashCopy solution with PowerHA toolkit to automate it for your save operations might be usefull. The steps could be, in that case, stop apply processes, quiesce SYSBASE (I believe you do not have any IASP), initiate the flash copy, resume SYSBASE I/O, resume apply processes, initiate the saves on the FlashCopy volumes, in place of stop apply processes, initiate the saves on your current volumes, resume apply processes.

IBM just added the capability to BRMS to create a recovery report for GDIHQ based on this exact scenario.

I have zero quisce operations and zero disruption of the production machine for the nightly saves.
Still in case of a role swap with a long duration, I do not see clearly how you do your saves. For that topic as well, you can still use Flash Copy and PowerHA toolkit (without steps related to QuickEDD processes) to run your save while your production activity is running on GDIHQ2, which is now your production node.
Back when we only had a single system the boss would not let me quiesce to start the checkpoint for a save while active. I had to do a ragged save while active. Of course, save while active on IFS is a sick joke.

When we do an OS upgrade we upgrade GDIHQ2 first. Let's say Wednesday or Thursday. Then we switch over to GDIHQ2 on Saturday and upgrade GDIHQ to the new release. This way we have zero worries about saving to a previous release being an issue. Been through several upgrades, ptfs, etc with no issues following this. Sunday we switch back. They're in different cities so they have different IP addresses, etc. There is a slight drop in 5250, etc when we do the switches. We have an automated process which changes the DNS entries in our Windows servers.

GDIHQ2 is not a 'test'. It is CBU. We have other machines and lpars for testing of the new releases, etc.

What we have may only sound simple to me because I'm familiar with it.
While PowerHA and/or other SAN based solutions sound simple to you because of your familiarity with those processes.