Look again. The world has changed, and since you already have VIOS serving
up Fibre connections the move there is almost trivial. Moreover you can
move the partition from internal to SAN disk with almost no downtime,
simply let the system copy the storage over to the SAN. Downtime would
come when moving the Load Source Drive over, that requires downtime.

As to pricing, since you already have the Fibre network in place, I think
you'll find the cost/Gb of storage is slightly in favor of the SAN.
Needing to invest in Fibre Switches makes that equation a bit tougher on
cost of acquisition, but over time it still flattens out. Then again the
benefits that Larry listed earlier also come into the decision as well.
Except for very small systems, we do not configure internal storage, only
SAN. (direct connect if needed)

--
Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect