Short answer, yes. Carve out space for everything from NVMe drives. . . . that are in a Flash System SAN.

Really.

Internal NVMe are cool and fast too. BUT they must be mirrored so you use twice as much. They sit inside the box and thus are much more difficult to replace if needed.

The SAN can add entire drawers on the fly. The SAN Can upgrade the internal firmware on the fly. The SAN can ugprade drive firmware on the fly. The SAN supports easy hot swapping of NVMe modules. The SAN can do flash copy whether that is for backups or for test partitions or test upgrades or or or. The SAN can do remote copy from Grand Rapids to Indianapolis (Not sure why I picked those cities. Hmmm.) The SAN can add new modules to a live RAID 6 set and include it fully in RAID. On the fly. The SAN does RAID6 with distributed hot spare so all modules are in use for performance.

AND When you upgrade from POWER9 to POWER10 the migration is fantabulously quick. PWRDWNSYS. IPL. DONE. However long that takes in your environment that's the rub.

Once you go SAN you don't go back. The flexibility, scalability and performance are much better than internal disk of any sort.

You already have VIOS supporting Ethernet and external Fiber so you've crossed much of that barrier.

I would agree that NEVER host internal disk with VIOS. It was never fun, often a disaster (Multiple customers lost entire systems for various reasons.)

- DrF.