From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of John Yeung
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 12:38 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: How do we find out what the "current" version of Java is?

I've been asked by a vendor to provide information on our "current version of Java".

They also asked what the "default" version is, and instructed me to give that to them via the 'java -version' command. That part was straightforward and easy.

When I pressed our contact for how I get the current version, and how that's different from what the 'java -version' command says, he told me to use GO LICPGM, option 10.

That doesn't strike me as helpful in the slightest. First, the output of that isn't searchable, so I'm scrolling through to eyeball anything that might look like it. I do find 5770JV1, but there are multiple lines, which all say *COMPATIBLE. So, how does that tell me what the "current" version is?

I don't even know conceptually what it means to be ***the*** current version of Java for a whole system. WRKJVMJOB shows we have 10 JVMs active. Presumably, these could be different versions if we have multiple Java versions installed. It so happens all of ours are using JDK 1.8.0_181 (same as what 'java -version' says), but some are 32-bit and some are 64-bit.

Are they asking me which JVM version is *currently* running *their* software? (Am I crazy to think GO LICPGM has nothing to help me with
that?)

John Y.