Good point - I have a 12-byte file on a system that has 8KB allocation. Everything on i is constructed out of segments of pages - 4KB to my understanding, so  I'm a little surprised at the 8KB here.

The screen you get with EDTF does show allocated size - and 6 on a directory  gives something like this - I had put 6 on the Opt next to VHAMBERG.

Directory: /home
 Position to :                Record :      97 of
 New File :
 2=Edit  4=Delete File   5=Display  6=Path Size   9=Recursive Delete

Opt Name                 Size       Owner        Changed Used            CCSID or Symbolic Link
    VHAMBERG               19,780K  VHAMBERG     03/14/22 07:54 03/26/22 10:16     SUBDIRECTORIES = 19, FILES = 25
I think this does not count files within the subdirectories, reason is, the IFS ACS tool shows more folders and files than this - 31 files, 27 folders in the properties. I think properties there for a folder give data size, not allocated. For a single file it gives both.

There is an IFS stat API, I think, that has all this - perhaps used in the SQL service.

Many options - not all as helpful for the task the OP presented. I find myself using most of them at one time or another.

Cheers
Vern