On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 10:48 AM Jack Woehr via MIDRANGE-L
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 10, 2022 at 8:44 AM frank boke <fboxxx1958@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for the info folks and I want to copy from pf to pf where the input
is 200 recl and the output is 100 recl like Rob noted. We want to
automatically have all the data be put into the 100 recl file without
having to change the 100 recl file in any way...

Is it just flat, one field of 100 chars or something?
So you would split each 200 char row into two 100 char rows?

That doesn't sound to me like either of the options Rob was asking
about, though I didn't really understand option 1 ("keep the data
which was already in the output file but automatically make it
bigger"). Rob's option 2 was truncating the longer data, but without
the system complaining about it.

I think option 2 would be especially likely if OP knows that the data
in the longer record actually fits in the shorter record (there are
only blank spaces in the extra length). If that's the case, then they
wouldn't want to bother splitting the longer row into two shorter
rows.

Sounds easy to do in Python.

Practically everything sounds easy to do in Python. ;) But for OP's
case, once it is clear what is really meant, then most likely it is
also easy to do by other means.

John Y.