On Tue, Feb 8, 2022 at 3:34 PM Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

That is the perfect solution, host the Ethernet for the development on
production with the Ethernet bridge. Yes the bridge is a layer 2 device,
but only the host sees it. The network just sees another NIC.

Set up time for someone who’s done it, 10 min. First time, 30 min. Just
follow the instructions IBM provides.

Several of us on this list have done that very set up many, many times.
I did it last in mid December.

One last thought, in the instructions it will tell you NOT to put an
address on the bridge device, heed that advice. Not following that advice
will cause the system to start chasing it’s Ethernet tail, and become
unusable really, really fast. Hard power off from the HMC is the only way
I’ve seen it stop.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects

Thanks. I thought as much but not being an IBMi network person I thought I
would seek advice from the forum. Our network guy initially thought it
might require external bridging but I sent him the link and he is reviewing
it. Most of the networking experience is from WIndows or Linux servers
which perhaps don't provide this facility? When you say don't put an
address on the bridge device I presume you mean this advice in the page?

On Guest (Secondary Partition)
1. Use the same steps as above to create the virtual resource on the Guest
partition, verifying that it has the same Port Virtual Ethernet ID as the
Host partition with one exception.

Note: Do not select Use this adapter for Ethernet bridging.
2. Create the Ethernet line on new virtual resource created on the guest
LPAR: