That is the perfect solution, host the Ethernet for the development on production with the Ethernet bridge. Yes the bridge is a layer 2 device, but only the host sees it. The network just sees another NIC.

Set up time for someone who’s done it, 10 min. First time, 30 min. Just follow the instructions IBM provides.

Several of us on this list have done that very set up many, many times. I did it last in mid December.

One last thought, in the instructions it will tell you NOT to put an address on the bridge device, heed that advice. Not following that advice will cause the system to start chasing it’s Ethernet tail, and become unusable really, really fast. Hard power off from the HMC is the only way I’ve seen it stop.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects