Hello Roy,

Am 06.01.2022 um 17:28 schrieb Roy Luce - Long Pier Solutions <lwl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

A scratch install is probably not an option - I'm betting no one knows where the IBM media is.

Do you know which version the machine is running? I found no way to get this information without elevated authority. So I guess you even can't do a proper IPL, right?

You can download all releases (but no PTFs) from V5R4 onwards on the ESS site @IBM. Register an IBM ID (for free), and choose demonstration and testing versions.

In fact, the ISO files you can download there are full versions but obviously without a LICKEY. You'll have to to extract it prior. Unfortunately, DSPLICKEY needs elevated authority. I think that a reinstall of LIC and OS with keeping the existing ASP content should not erase the license keys. But they're only valid for the release currently running. And I'm not sure if keeping the installed system allows for a reset of the QSECOFR password in some way. What is the status of regular backups, incremental as well as full saves?

It get's even better:
https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/dst-password-when-slipping-or-scratching-lic

"Note: During the D-mode part of the IPL, you cannot sign into DST and change any service tools profile passwords, and you cannot reset the QSECOFR OS password." — very, very bad!

Without knowing the status of backups, the work being done on the system, structure, databases, user profile count, OS version, machine ownership (leased? bought?), backing from management (monetary as well as keeping users off your back), it's hard to come up with the best way to proceed. Also check with IBM for information they could give you on license keys and OS release, if there's a support contract active. I won't even rule out the possibility to start from scratch with a new, or lent machine, trying to copy over as many objects as possible with the given user restrictions.

Maybe this is the point where stuff starts to get… hairy and you want to seek external help if you're shy about doing surgery on a pounding heart.

:wq! PoC