From: "Patrik Schindler" <poc@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Midrange Systems Technical Discussion"
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 26/10/2021 04:34 AM
Subject: Prestart Jobs for speeding up TCP/IP servers
Sent by: "MIDRANGE-L" <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello,

when re-reading the Work Management PDF, I was hoping to find information
about prestart jobs in an SBS. Apparently these are *only* for SNA based
(APPC) communications. I've also read elsewhere that the older IBM http
server can run CGI programs in a "persistent mode", where a CGI ends after
serving requests, but isn't deactivated. But that's considerably long ago,
so please take my claim with a grain of salt. ;-)

What do I want to achieve? Currently, my tests show that spawn()'ing a job
from inetd takes stunning 2-3 seconds on my 150. We're talking about a
tiny (64 kBytes on disk) C application opening one database file.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inetd

I feel that using some kind of prestart job somehow might lessen the time
until the job is ready to run. It would be perfectly okay if the *first*
start of the application after an IPL or restricted state or some other
disruptive system maintenance task isn't sped up. But subsequent
connections should be handled faster.

I'm also not exactly bound to use inetd. For the time being, it eases
testing and development, because I don't need to take care of the TCP
sockets stuff. But in the long run, I want to have a standalone TCP server
running in its own SBS together with child jobs serving requests.

What's your suggestion to achieve this "persistence"? Is that a real-world
scenario for named activation groups where applications which finished
their work stay active?

My preferred programming language for that application is C. But since
this is a general topic, I post my question here.

Thanks!

:wq! PoC