Laurence,

I'm not sure exactly what your question is, but I can say that migrating from internal to external storage is absolutely supported. A full save/restore is a valid path for this migration but is NOT the only path. In most cases it will take much less downtime to simply connected the new volumes at the same time as the existing volumes, and migrate the date using IBM i's disk migration capabilities. An outage is required to move the Load Source only but if done right the load source can be drained to a very small amount such that the migration would require a minimal amount of downtime.

I have done this an untold number of times and it is a supported path.

As to replicating the full system using the SANs this is a solution that is getting more and more common and IBM even sells a toolkit to support this.

- DrFranken