Hello Jim,

You are most welcome.

I know that version 8 of the Semeru Runtime does support Java Web Start
(JNLP) by bundling Iced-Tea. Version 11 does not come packaged with
Iced-Tea. Iced-Tea is prepackaged and ready to go if you use the MSI. If you
deploy using the ZIP, you'll have to set it up manually.

Personally, I had used Iced-Tea before with AdoptOpenJDK, but it became an
annoyance to maintain, so we started paying for Oracle's JRE on admin
machines, and we deploy the OpenJ9 JVM runtimes on client workstations
(previously AdoptOpenJDK, now Semeru).

Oracle themselves deprecated Java Web Start in Java 8, so I don't know what
IBM plans on doing after Java 8 goes bye-bye. According to IBM
(https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/semeru-runtimes-support#lifecycle), for
Semeru 8 JRE we don't have to worry about that until Dec. 2030.

(To Rob) If you need Java Web Start and can't/don't want to use Oracle's
JRE, then I would recommend sticking to Semeru version 8.

------------
Jacob
------------

Jacob Banda
Hamer Enterprises
TEL: 956.682.3466
EMAIL: jnbanda@xxxxxxxxxx

date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:02:41 -0500
from: Jim Oberholtzer <midrangel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: JDK for my PC.

Jacob, thank you for explaining all of that.

Do you know if this version of Java will support the Download Director JLNP
files?

IBM loves to rely on that software, but then dropped the javaws from the
OpenJDK downloads. I understand why, but then having to do one handed
cartwheels while playing a trumpet to get director to work was too painful.

Jim Oberholtzer
Agile Technology Architects