No it is not just "might" and "could be". I put a link out there which listed several directories IBM will modify during upgrades and stuff.
Picture this. You're running an older version of the OS. And it's on a machine which will not run any current version of the OS. You buy a new machine which will not run any version which will run on your older machine. So you install some currently supported version on the new machine and then get it up to speed on PTF's. Now you go restore from a backup on the old machine. Since you worked over the ALWSAV you end up restoring old versions of binaries in directories.

Maybe, just maybe, you can clean this up by doing a slip install of the LIC, OS and PTF's again.

However, you can still do an unload/reload to your old machine from your backup and the only thing you might be missing are some of the log files we mentioned.
Now I can see you pondering the question: If I restore the old versions of binaries from directories like /QIBM/ProdData/OS/SQLLIB/bin and it causes grief, then how can the system work if I do an unload/reload of the current OS on the new machine? If I didn't save those binaries, where do they come from? The answer is, they were saved with the SAVSYS. They were restored from the restore of the OS.