Hello Rob,

Am 16.08.2021 um 18:16 schrieb Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>:

If you just have to be in control of your IFS saves and do not like IBM omitting anything, I take it then you do not omit /QSYS.LIB and make sure you also save that again with your IFS?

Rob, please stay serious. QSYS.LIB isn't just a subfolder of /, but an entirely different beast being exposed as UNIX type file system through SLIC internal APIs. I'm sure that I don't need to explain that to *you*.

Again, this isn't an AS/400. Parts of the OS are in the IFS and by changing the ALWSAV on IBM directories you are thwarting IBM's attempts to separate the system save portion away from the user save portion.

What do you want to imply? That this dumb hobbyist idiot did again some ill-fated advice based on outdated system information?

Even V4 has system objects in IFS, foremost Java stuff.

Perhaps you might read my opinion about that IBM i is not AS/400 here: https://try-as400.pocnet.net/wiki/The_Naming_of_the_System

And even IBM does some things wrong, so if someone can sleep better at night with ALWSAV(*YES) everywhere, why not? The only implication clearly being an issue are exclusively locked files, as you rightfully pointed out. If a log can't be saved because it's locked, or because it's flagged "no save" is meaningless, because the result is the same: It's not saved.

Everything else is just guesswork made of "might" and "could be" until someone is curious enough to try and fail or try and not fail.

:wq! PoC