I often thought that some of these naming conventions were a little overboard. For example, the following:
<snip>
Other things to consider are the short names (system names); you have to have them. If you don't specify a short name the system will make them up for you. We use an old pattern of APPITMTY, where APP is the app code, ITM is the particular object name and TY is the object type. So a table could be ACPMASTB for Accounts Payable Master Table. We then replace the TB in the name for a pattern for index and views like APCMASI0 or ACPMASV0. We also are starting to implement temporal tables and these need a companion table to keep the changes. We name them like the master table but with HS appended to the end of the name. So our base name size is eight characters and with history tables we can use up the last two for the history designator.
</snip>
So for something like '/qsys.lib/mylib.lib/mypgm.pgm', .../myfile.file, .../mycmd.cmd. In windows/dos do you put exe on both sides of the period?
I guess the beauty of the above it may help to encourage people to not use the short names but to use the long names instead.
Another way of encouraging people to use the long names is to make the short names meaningless. Like naming your tables TABLE00001, TABLE00002, TABLE00003... and similar column names COLUMN0001, COLUMN0002, COLUMN0003. If you want to make sense out of this you have to look at the long names. I have actually done this on occasion.