Our IBM i is in the cloud and I have seen CPU utilization of over 150%, but
never anything like 800%+.

It did startle me the first time I saw it.

On Tue, May 18, 2021 at 7:06 AM Bryan Dietz <bdietz400@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

8.8.3 Why does my partition’s CPU utilization show a value greater than
100%?
Normally a partition’s CPU utilization ranges from 0% to 100%. There are
several reasons why the CPU utilization would be reported to be greater
than 100%:

If the partition is configured as shared and uncapped, the CPU utilization
can exceed 100%. The amount the partition can exceed 100% is dependent on
multiple settings including the number of physical and virtual processors,
the size of the shared processor pool, and the partition’s uncapped weight.

If performance data is refreshed rapidly, performance tools such as
WRKACTJOB may not have enough time to gather all the required counter
values and the resulting CPU utilization may inaccurate. As a result, CPU
can be incorrectly reported as more than 100%. To improve accuracy, allow
some time before refreshing the performance counters.

The IBM i operating system provides “helper threads” to assist with
functions such as database. If these helper threads consume considerable
CPU, there may be intervals in which the partition’s CPU utilization is
reported as greater than 100%.

*simple example:
CPU settings uncapped&shared:
1 Physical Processors
2 Virtual Processor
That would allow for 200% CPU in WRKACTJOB.

If you can call QLZARCAPI, you should be able to see the processor
settings.
The SQLSYSTEM_STATUS_INFO view
https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/i/7.4?topic=services-system-status-info-view

Provides similar information.

Reference:
IBM i on Power - Performance FAQ April 23, 2021
https://www.ibm.com/downloads/cas/QWXA9XKN

Bryan

On May 18, 2021, at 4:49 AM, Jack Kingsley <iseriesflorida@xxxxxxxxx>