On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 9:20 AM Charles Wilt <charles.wilt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Might consider pointing out that the IBM i uses IBM's J9 JVM, same as what
you can run with OpenJDK...

Well, the "official" JVM is HotSpot (developed by Sun and then
Oracle). That is the JVM that is part of the OpenJDK project, and thus
it is the one that the vast majority of OpenJDK-based[1] distributions
use.

The OpenJ9 JVM is designed to be a drop-in replacement for HotSpot,
but there are subtle differences. Apparently, these differences are
enough that Amazon expressly does not support OpenJ9 with Corretto. If
you use Corretto, you are using HotSpot.

It really should be on the approved list...

I'm not completely sure what "it" means there (I guess "OpenJDK"?) but
Amazon does a good job of hyping up Corretto as "OpenJDK plus security
and performance improvements". (Of course, any tech company that is
providing their own OpenJDK-based distribution for production use is
going to claim that they have added their own security and performance
improvements.)

I do not have the expertise to evaluate the relative security of
Corretto versus other OpenJDK-based distributions. Maybe it's all
hype. Maybe it really is demonstrably more secure. Maybe Amazon did
close up some security holes but inadvertently opened up others.

John Y.

[1] I say "OpenJDK-based distributions" to avoid running afoul of
Andrew's chosen usage of the word "Java" but it's actually rather
ridiculous to do this. For all intents and purposes, ***EVERY***
current implementation of Java-the-programming-language is based on
OpenJDK. Even Oracle's own commercial offering, the thing which Andrew
is referring to as Java, is based on OpenJDK.