From: MIDRANGE-L <midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Joe Pluta
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2021 9:44 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Three part names and library lists

I spent a lot of time recently working with external ODBC connections and library lists in order to follow some best practices with external processes. Basically, these processes can be used in either a test or production environment simply by changing the connection. That's done by removing all schema qualifications from tables, views, procedures, etc. This works wonderfully. Fast forward, and I've just started using three-part naming to reach across partitions. I've done this primarily for system analysis (object statistics and so on) so I haven't had to worry about environments. I just use partition1.qsys2.object_statistics
and I'm fine. But that doesn't play well with the idea of using an unqualified table name for application data. I haven't found any sort of syntax like partition1.*libl.mytable that will work. I'm afraid there may be no such syntax, but I figure if anyone knows, it's the members of this list.

So IS there a way to do a cross-partition unqualified table reference? I don't know, sounds like it might be a technical oxymoron. :)