I have a couple:
https://gist.github.com/bdietz400

Bryan

On Apr 5, 2021, at 10:15 AM, John Yeung <gallium.arsenide@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Gems like these got me thinking:

On Mon, Apr 5, 2021 at 7:25 AM Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Ok, I think this is the definitive answer [for getting IP address of current job].

SELECT local_address
FROM QSYS2.NETSTAT_JOB_INFO
where job_name = (
select job_name
from table(
active_job_info(JOB_NAME_FILTER => '*')))

This kind of thing (short snippet, answers a very specific question of
limited scope) seems perfectly suited to the Stack Overflow model. And
the single-question, multiple-answer format would nicely accommodate
the profusion of choices we now have: an SQL solution, a CL command
solution, a system API solution, a Bash solution, etc.

I know there are other past and ongoing attempts at building
repositories of IBM i knowledge, such as wikis and GitHub repos, for
example:

https://wiki.midrange.com/index.php/Main_Page

https://bitbucket.org/ibmi/opensource/wiki/Home

https://github.com/OSSILE/OSSILE

And of course this very mailing list. So trying to build up yet
another place might not be the best use of people's effort. However, I
really think dumping at least the quick-question, quick-answer(s) type
of knowledge onto Stack Overflow is worth considering.

Some benefits:

1. Instead of miles-long quote trains for a few lines of useful
information clogging up David's space, we have something visually more
efficient, and taking up none of David's space.

2. More easily and reliably searchable than some of the other resources.

3. Just as easily editable as a wiki (or arguably more so).

4. Accommodates a range of answers to the same question, including
improved answers as time and technology move forward.

5. Can serve most if not all of the role that code.midrange.com was
intended to, with the added bonus of random discoverability.

6. Not as subject to periodic overhauls and renaming as IBM's websites.

It's not like it would be building from scratch either; there's
already quite a bit of IBM i stuff on Stack Overflow. But the
questions that show up there seem like they're mostly from people who
don't know IBM i very well but know that Stack Overflow is the place
to ask questions. I'm thinking that it would be a great resource for
people who *do* know IBM i, for the reasons I listed above (and maybe
more I haven't articulated). In particular, I think it would be a
great way to increase exposure to the SQL stuff. And probably the
system APIs as well, for people are into those. And to provide
canonical answers for recurring questions.

John Y.