We offloaded all of our main storage to a V7000 six or seven years ago. Not a 'disk' in the system unit.

We upgraded to a V9000 four years ago, and to a FS9250 just now. Migrations with external storage is wonderful! No more save twice and restore all weekend! Just hook the 2 SANs together and let them shuffle data, then unhook the old one. Requires an IPL while the Wizards point things to the new storage. Took about an hour of down time (once the users were off the system).

We do a complete Option/21-style backup every night, fully automated. FlashCopy the production LPAR to a 2nd LPAR in the SAN, then save from there.

Our backup runs all of the commands the Option/21 does, but our program initiates the commands.

We use the FSFC Tool Kit from Lab Services. It has a user exit, and that's where we park our program. It places the system in restricted state that wakes up after a time delay (if it hasn't woken itself up).

System ASP is everything 'owned' by the OS and its apps.

My interpretation of an IASP is another storage area that attaches to the System ASP and is transparent to the OS. Biggest reason we didn't change to an iASP when we went to the V7000 is that everything in the iASP has to be self-contained: programs, files, MSGQs, etc. etc.

--Paul E Musselman

.