Rob,
When using the HMC to install, you have to define a network interface which
will be configured with the data you provide so the HMC can make the LPAR
boot from the network. That interface is not unconfigured after the install
so you already have SSH and SCP up and running. When the resources allow, I
prefer to leave a network interface without SEA or any other configuration,
dedicated solely to VIOS management. That works nicely with the HMC
install, since I don't need to reconfigure the interface used to install it.

I believe you still have to log in first to accept the license before doing
any other configuration command. I haven't used viosbr so I cannot say how
it would interact if the interface's properties are different than they
were in the backup.

Roberto