Alan,

QCMDEXC itself runs in the default activation group.  However, any commands that it runs will be run as if run from the prior call stack entry -- in other words, if QCMDEXC had been called from an ILE activation group, the command you run will also be in that activation group.

This is critical for stuff like OVRDBF since it defaults to OVRSCOPE(*ACTGRPDFN), meaning that the override will apply to the activation group it was run from.

Likewise, if you write your own command "MYCMD" and its CPP has ACTGRP(*CALLER), you could run it via QCMDEXC, and MYCMD's CPP would be in the same activation group as QCMDEXC had been called from.

-SK