message: 3
date: Mon, 11 Jan 2021 15:17:36 -0600
from: Scott Klement <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Strange thing in STRDBG

30 thousand?? Imagine if you dropped THAT stack of hollerith cards!

In the card era that is exactly what happened to me with a huge Cobol
program.

I was working with a military contract and not allowed to use sequence
numbers on the cards or take any material with me. Handover after approved
final test was by giving the boxes of cards to a high ranking official,
handing in all credentials and leaving the building after a thorough check
that nothing was brought out.

Apparently later somebody carrying the cards (I believe the total program
size was close to 90 thousand lines) tripped in the stairs and all cards
were flying all over the place.

Learned this when I received a phone call and the idiots asked if I by any
chance had a compiler listing with me somewhere...